Published on 07 May 2019
• 200 g paneer, crumbled
• 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
• 1 large or 2 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
• 1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
• 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
• 1/4 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
• 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
• 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
• 1/2 tsp cumin (jeera) seeds
• 1 1/2 tbsp oil or clarified butter (ghee)
• Salt as required
• A few coriander leaves for garnishing
• Heat the oil or ghee in a pan.
• Add the cumin seeds first and once they start to sputter, add the onions. When the onions become translucent, add the ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chillies.
• Cook till the raw aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away. Then, add the tomatoes and cook them till they become soft. You can add a pinch of salt so that the tomatoes cook faster.
• Next, add all the dry spice powders (turmeric, red chilli and garam masala powder). Stir them into the mixture.
• Add the crumbled paneer and let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Don’t cook it too long or it will become hard.
• Lastly, add the chopped coriander leaves to the bhurji and mix.
• Serve hot with toast or rotis.
Recipes paneer dishes